When the well was finished, the water was transported upwards by means of a horse mill, as it was known in mining. Its functioning is playfully demonstrated through a model that can be moved by turning a winder.
In the 17th century, the horse mill was replaced by a treadmill with a diameter of seven meters. In it, four men had to make 28,000 steps every day to carry the ton filled with water up 36 times. A reproduction of this treadmill in the original size shows the gigantic dimensions of this water extraction technology. Additionally, an animated film illustrates the monotonous work which socagers, prisoners or garrison soldiers were obliged to do.
Later, the power for the water extraction came from a wall steam engine (from 1871) and an electric engine (from 1911). In 1967, the water extraction was abandoned and the fortress was connected to the public drinking water supply system. Since 1997, the water extraction technology is demonstrated using the restored electric engine from 1911.